Collection of Personal Health Information
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to the Elliot Lake Family Health Team and the care that you received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits. Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- treat and care for you,
- get payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer or others),
- plan, administer and manage our internal operations,
- conduct risk management activities,
- conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending patients satisfaction surveys),
- compile statistics,
- fund-raise to improve our healthcare services and programs,
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements and fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law.
You may access and correct your personal health records, or withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us (subject to legal exceptions). Important Information
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protect your privacy and only use your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
How to Contact Us
Our privacy contact is Debra Brothers, CHIM, CIPP/C
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact us at:
Elliot Lake Family Health Team
31 Nova Scotia Walk, Second floor
Elliot Lake, ON P5A 1Y9
(705) 461 – 8882
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights.
The Commissioner can be reached at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8